You might not be aware of this but I’m in the middle of training for a marathon. In January I’ll be heading out to Arizona to run in the PF Chang’s Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon, an endurance feat that I doubt has ever been accomplished by anyone else in the history of mankind. As part of my training for this daring undertaking I have been increasing my weekly mileage, and more specifically, increasing my long runs on the weekend. I’ve always found long runs to be somewhat boring and monotonous, but that is even more pronounced during marathon training, when your long runs last well beyond their entertainment value, kind of like an SNL skit.
Fortunately for you, I’ve come up with a
useful list of things that you can do to help pass the time.
- Use the time to plot the perfect murder.
- Ponder the chicken and the egg, which one came first?
- Use the time to concoct the perfect margarita.
- See if you can balance your water bottle on your head.
- See if you can balance your check book in your head.
- Write your next blog post. If nothing exciting is happening then just make stuff up.
- Try out some pick-up lines on everyone you see.
- Listen to your mp3 player and figure out what Weird Al would do to each song. Surely you can do better than Rye or the Kaiser.
- Call a cab.
- Curse this cold weather.
- Think up insanely long and confusing titles for your next blog post based loosely on movies that you haven’t even seen.
- Pee on things.
- Count the number of steps you take in a minute.
- See if you can increase that number.
- See if you can decrease it, maybe even to zero.
- Stop somewhere for lunch.
- Shout obscenities at some random passer-by.
- Steal candy from a baby.
- Change the screens on your Garmin to display sunrise, date, calories, and GPS Accuracy because knowing your time, distance and pace is overrated and only makes the run feel longer.
- A spirited game of Ding, Dong, Ditch is a great way to get in some fartleks. (Did anyone else call this game Knock Down Ginger? That was how I knew it growing up in England but my wife had no idea what I was talking about.)
- Take your Blackberry and reply to some e-mails.
Before you know it your run will be over and you’ll have a speedy time, because time flies when you’re having fun.